What is it about lasagna that we never seem to tire of it? I was perusing my favorite food blogs and came across Kevin’s lasagna recipe (www.closetcooking.com
) which caught my eye. A flavorful twist on a classic dish. Layers of pasta bursting with the flavors of goat cheese, tomatoes, chicken, roasted red peppers and béchamel sauce. Topped off with mozzarella cheese and baked till brown and bubbly.
All the flavors worked beautifully together and this updated lasagna dish can serve a family or crowd,
Chicken Lasagna with Roasted Red Pepper and Goat Cheese Lasagna
Recipe From Closet Cooking
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 large onion, diced
2 gloves garlic, chopped
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
1-(14 ounce) can diced tomatoes
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon oregano
Salt and pepper to taste
2 cups chicken (cooked and shredded)
Handful of fresh parsley (chopped)
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup flour
2 cups milk
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg (optional)
6-ounces goat cheese
3 large roasted red peppers (note: I used jarred roasted red peppers)
8 lasagna noodles
1 cup feta cheese
1 cup mozarella (grated)
1. Heat the oil in a pan over medium heat.
2. Add the onion and saute until tender, about 5-7 minutes.
3. Add the garlic and red pepper flakes and saute until fragrant, about 1 minute.
4. Add tomatoes, tomato paste, balsamic vinegar, oregano, salt and pepper and bring to a boil.
5. Reduce the heat and simmer until sauce starts to thicken, about 15-20 minutes.
6. Mix in the chicken and parsley and set aside.
7. Heat the butter in a saucepan over medium heat until it is bubbling, and it has turned a light golden brown.
8. Mix in flour and let simmer until it returns to a light golden brown.
9. Mix in milk, nutmeg and goat cheese, and heat until it thickens.
10. Lightly grease the bottom of an 8-inch square baking dish.
11. Place a layer of noodles* followed by 1/2 of the tomato sauce, followed by 1/2 of the feta, followed by 1/2 of the roasted red bell peppers, followed by 1/3 of the bechamel sauce. repeat a second layer in the same fashion and top with a final layer of noodles, the remaining bechamel sauce and top with mozzarella.
12. Bake in a preheated 350 Degree F. oven until the top layer is golden brown and the sides are bubbling, about 30-45 minutes.
* To form one layer of noodles in the 8-inch square pan, cut two noodles 2/3 way down and use the
2-1/3 noodles to make a full row.