I am not sure where my autumn breeze went! The Fall season was teasing me. No matter, it is Fall and this is a perfect Fall salad recipe. This is a wonderful crisp cabbage, carrot slaw scented with cumin. A low fat, low calorie and high-fiber dish.
Carrot Cabbage Slaw with Cumin Vinaigrette(serves 6)Note: Recipe from Gourmet
2-1/4 lb. carrots
2 Tbsp Sherry Vinegar
1 Tbsp packed dark brown sugar
1 tsp cumin seeds, toasted ( note: I used dried cumin)
6 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 lb Savoy cabbage, thinly sliced ( about 6 cups)
An adjustable blade slicer fitted with 1/8 inch julienne attachment
1. Pick enough fronds from the carrot tops to measure 1 cup, then coarsely chop.
2. Cut carrots crosswise into 2-inch pieces, then julienne with a slicer.
3. Whisk together vinegar, brown sugar, cumin, 1/2 tsp salt, and 1/4 tsp pepper in a bowl, then add oil in a slow stream, whisking until emulsified.
4. Toss cabbage, carrots, chopped carrot tops in a large bowl with enough vinaigrette to coat.
5. Season with salt and pepper.
6. Let stand 30 minutes before serving.