Let’s face it, hot fresh potato chips are addictive. Hot potato chips seasoned with salt, served with a warm blue cheese dipping sauce, and made with a quality blue cheese like Maytag (Yes, these are the folks that make your home appliances, too.) Lord help me, because I can’t stop myself.
If you are really in a pinch you can take a really good quality potato chip and heat them in your oven at 350 degrees F for 5 minutes…It’s the sauce that steals the show, but I am partial to a fresh made potato chips.
Hot Potato Chips with Blue Cheese Sauce
Recipe from Bobby Flay’s Bar Americain
Blue Cheese Sauce
2 cups whole milk
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 small Spanish onion, finely chopped
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
Pinch of Cayenne
1/2 pound blue cheese, crumbled, plus 1/4 cup for garnish
4 large Idaho potatoes, peeled and sliced lengthwise 1/8-inch thick on a mandoline
2 quarts peanut or canola oil
1. Pour the milk into a small saucepan and bring to a simmer over low heat.
2. melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until soft. Stir in the flour and cook for 1 minute. Slowly whisk in the warm milk and continue whisking until thickened, about 2 minutes. Season with the salt and cayenne. Remove from the heat and stir in the blue cheese. If the sauce is to thick, thin with a little extra milk.
3. Place the potato slices on a baking sheet between layers of paper towels to make sure they are very dry before frying.
4. Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat until it reaches 375 degrees F. on a deep-fat thermometer. Fry the potatoes in small batches until golden brown on both sides, turning once, about 2 minutes. remove with a slotted spoon and place on a brown paper bag or another baking sheet lined with paper towels to drain. Immediately season with salt.
5. Pour the sauce into a bowl and top with the remaining 1/4 cup crumbled blue cheese and the chopped chives. Place the bowl in the center of large platter and arrange the potato chips around the bowl.